Sambar Masala Powder
1 cup- coriander seeds
1/4cup- Bengal gram (chana dal)
1/4 cup- Split black gram (urad dal - you may skip this, but I added)
1 tsp- methi dana
2 sprigs- curry leaves
2tsp- cumin seeds (jeera)
2tsp- black pepper corns
3 - cinnamon sticks (dalchini)
1/2-1 cup- dry red chilli ( I added 1/2cup)
1 tsp- turmeric (haldi)
- Roast coriander seeds.
- Then roast dals separately.
- Roast curry leaves.
- Roast all the remaining spices (except haldi).
- Let the roasted spices cool down.
- Grind all spices together.
- Add haldi.
- Some sambar recipes use dry coconut as well.
- If you want, you can add 4 tsp dry coconut powder to the sambar masala. I did not add coconut.
The authentic sambar masala recipes use coconut.
I prefer to add fresh coconut along with sambar powder to the recipe.
Sambar is a delectable blend of vegetables and lentils. It is a health food, since it uses little oil and is a blend of boiled vegetables.
Here is the homemade sambar masala recipe from the south Indian kitchen of Chitra Balachander
|authentic south Indian sambar masala recipe|
Do not forget to check this 5-min sambar post.