This post is inspired by Ritu Mendiratta's Dahi wale gatte.
Let's make this unique gatte recipe dipped in curd and whey.
4 tbsp - besan
3 tbsp - oats
3 tbsp - suji
1 tsp- ginger-chilly paste
1/2 tsp- jeera (cumin seeds)
1 tbsp- curd
Fresh coriander leaves
1 pinch turmeric
ajwain (carom seeds)
|oats gatte kadhi|
- Mix besan, oats, suji.
- Add ginger-chilly paste, jeera, coriander leaves, turmeric, salt, and curd.
- Mix well with hands.
- Add 1 tbsp of water to make dough. You may add little more water if required.
- Cut into two logs or more as desired.
- Take a pan and add 2 cups of water to it. Drop in 2 pinches of salt, 1 tbsp of curd.
- Drop the logs into water. Keep it for boiling for 10 minutes.
- Once done, take out the logs. Let them cool and cut into small pieces.
- Keep aside.
- Now let's prepare the curry.
- Store the boiled water. We will use it for curry.
Gatte Curry ingredients
4 tbsp curd
1 cup- whey (water that separates paneer from milk) - if you do not have whey, you may take water instead
1 1/2 cup - water (you may add more if you want the curry watery)
1 tbsp - roasted besan (optional - I had so added)
salt, turmeric, coriander powder
Red chilly whole
Fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
Curry leaves (kadhi pata)
1 tsp- Ginger-chilly paste
1 tbsp - Mustard oil
- Mix roasted besan with whey and curd.
- Whisk well.
- Add salt and turmeric.
- Take a heavy pan or kadahi.
- Add mustard oil.
- Keep it on high flame. Let it reach the smoking point.
- Now add hing.
- Next add red chilly whole.
- Stir and then add ginger-chilly paste.
- Stir with a spatula.
- Now add kadhi pata and drop the gatte pieces and fry little. Sprinkle coriander powder. Mix.
- You would be tempted to taste the gatte at this moment like me. I tasted and loved them. So did not hesitate to offer them to hubby as well. He too loved them.
- Next add the besan-curd-whey mixture and keep stirring. Keep it on high flame for 5 minutes.
- Add the boiled gatte water. You may add more water if you so wish.
- Then lower the flame and let it cook for 10 minutes while stirring intermittently.
- Check salt and add coriander powder.
- Garnish with coriander leaves if you want.
- Enjoy this oats gatte recipe with rice or roti.
- I relished this lip-smacking recipe with both boiled rice and roti.