|lauki stir fry|
After having tried the recipe with beans, I have changed the main ingredient, substituting beans with lauki. Certainly nobody can say I have used bottle gourd in the recipe.
Try it for yourself to see how you can introduce lauki in a new avatar in your family meal planning. I know how kids and even some elders have to be forced to eat lauki - the humble vegetable is not a favorite in any home!
1/4 cup- arhar dal
1/4 cup- chana dal
1 small piece of ginger
1 green chilly
1/2 cup- palak leaves (spinach - optional)
1/4 tsp- mustard seeds
1 pinch -hing
1/4 tsp- urad dal
1/2 tsp- oil
|lauki in a new avatar|
- Soak both dals for an hour or more.
- Grind along with green chilly, spinach, and ginger, adding little to no water.
- Steam the paste just like idli. You may use your idli stand for steaming.
- Cut bottle gourd into small pieces.
- Boil it with little water, salt, haldi - for one whistle.
- Grate the steamed cakes using a grater when they are still warm. Do not burn your hands though.
- Take a non stick pan.
- Add oil. When it is hot, add hing, mustard seeds and urad dal.
- Let them splutter.
- Next add chopped onion and curry leaves.
- Now add salt and haldi. You may add red chilly powder if you want it spicier. This stir fry will taste better with a spicy touch.
- Add grated idlis. Mix well for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add boiled lauki.
- Mix and cook for 4-5 minutes or little longer.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and enjoy my style of lauki stir fry!!