Yes, these steamed dumplings taste equally good and are a healthier alternative to their fried counterparts!
A soul-pleasing dish for health freaks with the goodness of curd and mint leaves. Who says health food cannot be tasty?
Enjoy these vadas guilt free!
1/2 cup urad dal
1/2 cup Bengal gram/ chickpeas (chana dal)
2 pinches- baking soda
- Soak both dals for 3-4 hours. Grind them with very little water.
- Add eno before steaming in idli steamer. That's it.
- When the vadas are ready, take them out in a bowl, pour curd mixed with salt, sugar, jeera powder, and chaat masala.
- You can skip sugar if you are using chaat masala.
- I added little sugar as well as chaat masala.
- Finally, sprinkle some dried mint leaves or fresh coriander leaves. You may use fresh pudina leaves if you do not have dried ones. You may want to use tamarind paste. Boil tamarind in water for 10 minutes or until it thickens. Do this when you are steaming vadas. Sprinkle over the vadas once done.
- Let the vadas remain soaked in khatta meetha curd for 10-15 mins.
- That's it! Enjoy healthy dahi vadas with a twist!