|shalgam chana dal|
I know this may taste like a bland vegetable, but I love shalgam in every form - as salad, as chutney, as bharta, and as curry. I have even tried shalgam recipe as a snack.
Now I am sharing a new turnip recipe in the form of a finger-licking good dal curry.
A few days back a Bengali neighbor introduced me to this sumptuous chana dal shalgam recipe. I wanted to give it a try. Since hubby does not like turnip (shalgam), I found this recipe useful as I could include this healthy vegetable in our meals. When I tried it, hubby approved the recipe. Could I ask for more?
If you have fussy eaters at home, who detest the very taste of turnip, then there is a way to bring them to the dining table!
Perhaps, you need just 2 key ingredients - chana dal (chickpea lentils/bengal gram) and turnips.
Well, make this healthylicious chana dal lentil curry blended with turnips to enjoy the real taste of India!
I am not exaggerating.
You need just one try and you are done!
If your family loves chana dal curry with bottle gourd, then this is a must-try recipe. It tastes even better. Trust my words!
I made it at my mom's place as well, where nobody likes turnips, and the recipe was loved by one and all. This has become a super hit shalgam dal recipe at my place.
2 turnip (shalgam)
1/2 cup- chana dal (gram/chickpea flour)
1/2 cup- moong dal (or you could skip moong dal and double the quantity of chana dal)
1 tsp- fennel seeds (saunf)
1/2 tsp- ginger (if you have saunth or dry ginger powder you can add that)
2 tsp- mustard oil
salt, turmeric (haldi) as per taste
red chilly -1 or more
pinch of heeng
2 tomatoes (pureed)
2-3 onions chopped
Shalgam Chana Dal Procedure
|chana dal with shalgam|
- Soak the dals for half an hour.
- Strain, wash, and keep aside.
- Slice shalgam.
- Chop onions
- Puree tomatoes
- Heat oil. Let it reach smoking point.
- Drop in red chilly
- Let it splutter
- Add chopped onion
- Stir fry
- Add saunth or grated ginger
- Mix and fry Add saunf and mix well. Let the aroma of saunf fill your house.
- Add tomato puree and fry for a couple of minutes on low flame or until the raw scent goes off.
- Add shalgam and fry for 2-3 minutes on medium flame. Add garam masala. Mix.
- Add both dals. Mix.
- Add 2 cups of water. You may add 1 cup more if you want it soupy.
- Put on high flame.
- Turn off the flame after 5 whistles.
- Garnish chana dal with fresh coriander leaves.
- Enjoy shalgam dal with rice or roti.
Feedback from Sangeeta Chandra on this shalgam recipe:
Here's another unique dal combination recipe that you may want to try. These turnip recipes are a blend of taste and health.
|carrot capsicum moong dal recipe|
|khatta meetha matar shalgam|
|shalgam aloo bharta|
|broccoli palak saag with shalgam|
|makki di roti te sarson da saag with shalgam|