|ragi flour bread|
Ingredients for Yeast Free Finger Millet Bread:
Ragi- 1/2 cup
Whole wheat flour - 1/2 cup
Salt -1/4 tsp
Sugar- 1 tsp
Baking soda- 1 tsp +1/2 tsp lemon juice
Baking powder (3/4 tsp) - I didn't use
Oil or ghee/butter - 2 tsp
Warm Whey - 1/4 cup (or more if required for kneading soft, pliable dough) If you do not have whey, you can take warm milk or add 1/2 warm water to curd/yogurt or simply add lukewarm milk instead
|no yeast ragi bread|
- Take a bowl.
- Add oil, sugar, salt and mix.
- Take a spoon- mix baking soda+ lime juice
- Add whey to the sugar, salt mix.
- Add baking soda+lime juice to the flours
- Knead for 10 minutes into a very soft dough.
- Set aside.
- Cover the dough with a moist cloth and keep in a warm place
- I rested the dough overnight.
- Knead the dough again in the morning for 5 minutes.
- Cut into two halves.
- Place a skillet on the gas stove. Keep a heavy bottomed steel plate or bowl or nonstick pan over the skillet.I did it on stovetop. But you may bake it in a microwave.
- Grease them and place the two logs.
- Grease the logs as well.
- Cover & cook on slow flame for 15-20 mins (may take longer)
- We need to cook both sides (cooking the second side will take less time)
|yeast free ragi bread bun|
The dough will rise, though it won't rise as much as a yeast dough. But I want to avoid yeast as much as I can. I have not even included baking powder in the recipe.
Try it once. I am sure, you will love this healthier yeast-free ragi bread bun.