|broccoli palak saag|
But have you ever heard of broccoli palak saag?
Yes, this post takes inspiration from Nature Kahlon's broccoli-spinach (palak) saag recipe. I was so attracted to the post that I had to give this easy saag recipe a try. I modified the recipe a little to add another interesting twist and come up with my own broccoli-palak- saag with shalgam.
I must tell you when the palak saag was cooking, my house was filled with a distinct aroma that reminds me of Punjab villages, where this green leafy curry is cooked in a traditional way. This is my best attempt at saag making. It tastes similar to the authentic sarson saag that we relish in Punjab.
I am in love with the aroma of palak broccoli saag.
Considered among world's healthiest foods, broccoli is rich in vitamins K and C, potassium, and fiber. The green vegetable is a good source of folic acid.
When steamed, broccoli can induce cholesterol-lowering action and the fiber in it binds together with bile acids in the digestive tract, helping in easier excretion and elimination of unwanted components. A rich source of kaempferol, a flavonoid, broccoli has the ability to reduce the impact of allergy-related substances.
This easy saag recipe makes a handy alternative to sarson saag.
Here's the authentic sarson saag recipe.
Instant OPOS Spinach Saag Curry
|OPOS spinach saag|
Let's go to an interesting spinach curry that can be done in 6 minutes - yes, it is an instant saag recipe.
1 bunch of spinach
1 small cauliflower
1 tbsp- OPOS ginger-garlic paste
1 tbsp- desi ghee
1 big onion
1 tbsp- chana sattu powder/ cornmeal/whole wheat flour
1/4 cup- water
How to make instant spinach curry/saag recipe:
Take a 2/3-liter pressure cooker.
Next add ghee.
Now add big chunks of onion on one side and tomato on the other, as shown in above collage.
Drop chopped turnip. Make sure it is small in size.
Drop washed spinach leaves. Spread them evenly.
Now add the cauliflower florets in a layer. The smaller the better.
Add salt, turmeric on top, as shown above. DO NOT MIX.
Cover and cook for 6 minutes. There will be at least 10-12 whistles.
Release pressure and open the pressure cooker.
Add sattu powder and mix everything.
Use a blender to blend everything together.
ENJOY instant spinach saag with roti. It's too yummy to resist.
|sarson saag makki roti|
Here's my recipe:
1 bunch of spinach (palak)
1 big broccoli
1 garlic pod + extra garlic cloves for tempering
2 small ginger pieces (1 piece for tempering)
1 shalgam (turnip)(optional - I love to add shalgam to any saag recipe)
1 onion (chopped) for tempering
1 tsp ghee (clarified butter)
little water (1/4 cup or less)
1 green chilly or more
1 tbsp of makki atta (cornmeal) or whole wheat flour
|palak saag with broccoli|
- Wash palak thoroughly.
- Cut turnip into small pieces.
- Cut broccoli florets.
- Add water in a pressure cooker. Add palak, broccoli, whole tomato, shalgam cubes, garlic pods, and 1 ginger piece (chopped).
- Add little salt and cover & cook on high flame until 1 whistle.
- Then lower the flame and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
- Turn off the gas and let steam escape after 30 minutes.
- Grind the saag for a few seconds.You may use a blender.
- Now take a pan.
- Add ghee.
- Drop chopped onion into it.
- Stir well until it turns brown.
- I used 1 tbsp of ginger-garlic paste for tempering.
- Add ginger-garlic paste. Bhuno!!
- Add the ground saag.
- Add makki atta.
- Mix well and let it simmer on low flame for 8-10 minutes and feel the aroma of this sumptuous and healthy delicacy flood your home.
- Enjoy this heavenly bowl of palak ka saag with parantha, roti, or makki di roti. I relished it with rice in lunch and lachcha parantha in dinner.
If you are interested to learn authentic sarson ka saag recipe, check here.