|khatta meetha shalgam|
This post gets inspiration from my dear friend Anna's shalgam matar post. I had got really late for lunch today. Just a quick glance at her recipe gave me the inspiration to go ahead with the recipe with my own modifications. The result did not disappoint; rather, I have made the tangiest shalgam matar today.
Let's come back to the recipe:
Shalgam - 2
Matar (peas) - 1/2 cup (more or less depending on your choice)
Ginger-garlic paste- 1 tbsp
Gur (jaggery)- 1 small piece
Salt as per taste
Dry red chilly- 1
Mustard oil- 2 tbsp
Hing- 1 pinch
Sabut dhaniya- 1/2 tsp (smash in your mortar and pestle...or you may use your rolling pin (belan) - In the recipe I will mention it as coarse dhaniya.
Chatpatta Shalgam Procedure
- Pressure cook shalgam in little water with salt for 2 whistles.
- Chop onions, tomatoes and keep aside.
- Cut shalgam into small pieces.
- Take a vessel (kadahi).
- Drop oil. Once it reaches the smoking point, throw in hing and dry red chilly.
- Next add jeera.
- Let it splutter.
- Now add coarse dhaniya.
- Fry for a while.
- Now add ginger-garlic paste and stir fry until the raw smell is gone.
- If you are using green chilly, you may add it now or later. Depends on you. I did not use.
- Next add chopped/sliced onion and fry until they turn translucent.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and fry until the masala leaves oil.
- Drop in the gur. You may cut it into very small pieces or grate it. I simply dropped one small piece into the masala. Stir very well.
- You may sprinkle little water if the masala sticks to the bottom of the vessel.
- Add salt, haldi. Mix.
- Now add shalgam and matar.
- Mix very well.
- Cook on medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Now stir well and then cook and cover for another 8-10 minutes. Just keep checking that it doesn't burn.
- If it sticks, add little more water to prevent burning.
- Check if done.
- Sprinkle coriander powder. Mix and enjoy chatpatta shalgam with rice or roti.
- If you want, you may mash shalgam once done and enjoy khatta meeta shalgam matar bharta.