|lauki stir fry|
After having tried the recipe with beans, I have changed the main ingredient, substituting beans with lauki. Certainly nobody can say I have used bottle gourd in the recipe.
Try it for yourself to see how you can introduce lauki in a new avatar in your family meal planning. I know how kids and even some elders have to be forced to eat lauki - the humble vegetable is not a favorite in any home!
If lauki s on your mind and are looking for a simple tasty lauki recipe, then this one can easily fit in. One of the best ways to make a healthy serving of this humble vegetable is to combine it with lentils - just like they do in the south and make Paruppu usli. Trust you me, it is one of the best ways to make lauki delicious or for that matter any vegetable.
1/4 cup- arhar dal
1/4 cup- chana dal
1 small piece of ginger
1 green chilly
1/2 cup- palak leaves/curry leaves (spinach - optional)
1/4 tsp- mustard seeds
1 pinch -hing
1/4 tsp- urad dal
1/2 tsp- oil
|lauki in a new avatar|
- Soak both dals for an hour or more.
- Grind along with green chilly, spinach, and ginger, adding little to no water.
- Steam the paste just like idli. You may use your idli stand for steaming.
- Cut bottle gourd into small pieces.
- Boil it with little water, salt, haldi - for one whistle.
- Grate the steamed cakes using a grater when they are still warm. Do not burn your hands though.
- Take a non stick pan.
- Add oil. When it is hot, add hing, mustard seeds and urad dal.
- Let them splutter.
- Next add chopped onion and curry leaves.
- Now add salt and haldi. You may add red chilly powder if you want it spicier. This stir fry will taste better with a spicy touch.
- Add grated idlis. Mix well for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add boiled lauki.
- Mix and cook for 4-5 minutes or little longer.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and enjoy my style of lauki stir fry!!
- Here's some feedback on tasty lauki recipe bhurji ;