What has brought you to this page is your search for a healthy breakfast option, right? Or you might be looking for a healthy snack idea for preschoolers or elders alike. When health tops the list of your priorities, can taste be left behind? Of course, you are often constrained for time when it comes to making healthy snacks. But not once you learn this one pot one shot vermicelli recipe. This instant vermicelli pulav biryani recipe takes inspiration from Jyothi Cooking Book.
Instant Noodles - Na Instant Maggi - Na Instant Biryani Vermicelli
Think of instant food, and 2-minute maggi will flash your mind in an instant. But there is more to instant food than instant maggi. What if we give you a no-fail recipe for instant biryani vermicelli that is more of a visual treat and tastes just like your favorite maggi. But our instant vermicelli upma or biryani has the advantage of being a healthy snack option, which is made with whole wheat semolina.
I do not eat noodles. Rather, hubby and I left eating noodles a few years back, when we came to know about their dark side. Then we decided to substitute noodles with wheat, suji, ragi vermicelli. I must tell you these little noodles taste as good as noodles, and the best part being these aren't wax coated like the latter.
1 cup- dry roasted vermicelli (I keep unroasted vermicelli on a hot skillet or tawa after making rotis and the vermicelli is roasted on its own..just stir it once or twice)
1 cup- water (+3tsp water)
1 tsp oil
1 tsp- ginger-garlic paste
boiled black chana/white chickpeas/black gram/ white peas/green peas (whatever is easily available)
1 potato (optional), carrot, peas
salt as per taste
sugar 2 pinches (I added jaggery, as I do not buy white sugar)
How to make instant vermicelli upma
1. Dry roast vermicelli. Keep aside. Chop potatoes into small pieces and marinate them with little salt, sugar, and turmeric.
2. Take a 2 or 3-liter pressure cooker.
3. Add 3 tsp water and 1 tsp oil.
4. Layer sliced onion on top of the oil-water layer.
5. Add green chilly if you want.
6. Layer chopped, marinated potatoes(do not make them too big- smaller the better), carrot, peas. Also, layer boiled chickpeas or green peas or any other vegetables of your choice. Spread vermicelli as a layer on top of it.
7. Layer garlic ginger paste on top of it.
8. Sprinkle salt, turmeric, and garam masala. DO NOT MIX.
9. Add water without disturbing the layers.
10. Cover with lid and weight (whistle).
11. Cook on a high flame for 2 whistles.
12. Release pressure. Mix everything gently, ensuring the masala coats the vermicelli well. Cover for 5 minutes and enjoy instant vermicelli upma or pulav with vermicelli.
13. This is going to be the yummiest vermicelli pulav ever that you have tasted. You can trsut my word for it.
The vermicelli recipe gives you non-sticky vermicelli upma. What more do you need? If you wish, you may still sprinkle little oil on top of the vermicelli before closing the lid and pressure cooking.
Earlier, I had shared vermicelli chilli noodles recipe. This time I have taken inspiration from a friend Sangeeta Chandra's vermicelli upma recipe to come up with my vermicelli (sevai) pulav recipe. It's hit in my home.
Here I am sharing two ways to make vermicelli pulav. The newest method gives you tasty, tangy pulav. Do give this chatpati vermicelli pulav recipe a try.
1 cup vermicelli (roasted ; or dry roast it first)
vegetables of your choice( i have used 2 carrots, 1/2 cup peas, 1 potato)
3 tbsp curd
sambar masala or garam masala
2 pinches of sugar
1 tsp- ginger garlic paste
1 tsp oil +1 tsp
1 tsp lime juice
|quick vermicelli pulav|
Quick Vermicelli Biryani Ingredients
Roasted Vermicelli- 1 cup
Peas- 1/4 cup
Carrot- 1 large
Water, salt, oil (1 tsp)
chana dal- 1/4 tsp
urad dal- 1/4 tsp
How to make quick vermicelli biryani/pulav
- Dry roast vermicelli. Let it cool.
- Then take 2 cups of water and add vermicelli to it.
- Keep it for boiling. Let it boil for 8-10 minutes.
- Drain, strain under cold water and keep aside on a sieve so that the water dries up.
- Chop carrots and potato.
- I steamed carrots, potato, tomato, and peas. You may choose to steam the veggies or fry them. I chose to steam them since it saved me oil and time.
- Take oil in a pan.
- Add chana dal, urad dal, mustard seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add curry leaves and stir.
- Next add sliced onion.
- Cook & then add grated ginger & green chilly.
- Now add tomato.
- Stir and cook.
- Add salt and coriander powder.
- Next add the steamed veggies. If you have not steamed them, you can fry them here.
- Once the veggies are done, add boiled vermicelli.
- Mix well. Keep stirring for 2-3 minutes until the veggies and vermicelli have fused together.
- You may sprinkle lemon juice over the vermicelli.
- Enjoy your early morning breakfast with this health friendly tangy vermicelli pulav.