I belong to the land of Punjab, and Punjabis are well-known for their use of a lot of dairy products. Paneer (cottage cheese) is one of them. Palak paneer (cottage cheese in spinach gravy) is a popular form of using paneer. It has become widely popular all over India. I have tasted palak paneer umpteen times, but never had the courage to give it a try myself.
Today, while making lunch, the idea to make palak paneer struck my mind. But I did not know how to make it. So I quickly did Google search for palak paneer recipe. VegrecipesofIndia topped the list, and I wasted no time to go with that recipe. I prefer this site for most recipes.
Here's the paneer recipe from Dassana Amit, though I have not added butter to my recipe:
Ingredients for palak puree:
250 grams - palak
1 - green chilly
4 -5 garlic cloves
½ inch ginger
3 cups - water (we need water to blanch spinach - of course after washing)
2-3 cups water for ice bath (I used 8-10 ice cubes and added them to water)
Ingredients for palak curry:
1 - onion, chopped or more (depending on taste)
1 - tomato, chopped or more (depending on taste)
4 -5 - garlic cloves/ chopped
½ tsp - cumin seeds (jeera)
a pinch -asafoetida (hing)
turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tej patta (bay leaf)
250 gms - paneer
½ cup - water
1 tbsp oil
salt as required
|palak paneer recipe|
- Wash spinach very well in running water.
- Boil 3 cups of water and add little salt. Stir. Next add spinach leaves in the hot water.
- After 2-3 minutes, take out palak leaves.
- Take ice cubes and put them in a different bowl of water. Immediately add spinach leaves to the ice cold water. Leave them for 1-2 minutes. This step helps in the retention of natural spinach color.
- Now it's time to make palak puree, so drain palak leaves and add in a blender along with ginger, garlic, and chillies.No need to add water.
- Let' make the curry now. Heat oil and add hing and bay leaf. Then add jeera. Stir and add onions. Saute well.
- Add garlic and stir well.
- Add tomatoes and stir until they turn soft.
- Add haldi and stir very well.
- Next add palak puree. Give it a good mix.
- Add 1/2 cup of water or more if required.
- Mix well and let the curry simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Add salt and mix.
- Grease a different pan and add cubed paneer pieces.We need to fry paneer cubes.
- Add the paneer pieces to the palak puree and mix.
- Turn off the flame.
Enjoy palak paneer recipe with rice, naan, or rotis, The original recipe uses butter, garam masala, and lime as well. But I preferred not to use these ingredients.