Gajar halwa is a favorite at my place. Punjabis are known to make this sweet carrot pudding profusely during winters. Now the sweet has become widely popular all through India.
I love gajar halwa to the core, but since it includes good amount of sugar, I try to make small batches just to satiate my cravings for this winter delicacy. I tell you I can have this lip-smacking dessert at any time of the day.
It is that good. The gajar halwa that mom makes is above par. But I do try to avoid too much sugar and ghee, so keep experimenting with age-old recipes for a healthy twist.
I fail sometimes, but I do pass many a time.
This time I decided to give it carrot pudding a sweet twist - substituted sugar with jaggery powder (gur). Voila! Glad the gajar halwa still tastes awesome.
Why did I pick jaggery over sugar?
Jaggery is a better alternative to sugar, since it is slowly digested by the body compared to sugar, which is quickly absorbed and raises blood sugar levels instantly, causing blood sugar spike in the body.
I have tried replacing sugar in a few other dessert recipes and I am pretty happy with the results.
Here's my rasmalai experiment with jaggery.
Ingredients for OPOS Carrot Halwa Pudding: Instant recipe to make yummiest carrot halwa vegan4 carrots (chopped finely)
2 tsp- water
2 tbsp- almond meal (almost equal to half of grated carrots)
2 tsp- jaggery powder or more depending on your taste
2 tsp- seed/nut oil/vegetable oil
Nuts of your choice - almonds, raisins, pistachios
How to make vegan carrot halwa recipe OPOSGrate carrots .
Take half of the grated carrots and mix with almond meal or powder. You may add cashew powder instead. Keep aside.
Take a 2 liter pressure cooker.
Add water at the base.
Spread a layer of grated carrots without the almond meal.
Top it with the other lot of carrots with almond meal.
Add grated nuts on top along with jaggery powder.
Make sure the almond meal or jaggery does not touch the cooker base.
Cover and cook for 4 whistles.
Release pressure, open, and mix everything well and add roasted nuts and raisins.
Close for 5 mins.
Enjoy lip-smacking vegan carrot halwa with this instant recipe for beginners.
OPOS is the trademark of Rama Krishnan, who is the OPOS mentor. OPOS stands for one pot one shot. If you dream of quick, healthy and flavorful cooking, then OPOS is the best way out!
3rd Carrot Halwa recipeHere's the healthy recipe of this light, no sugar gur gajar halwa:
2 pieces of gur (depends on your taste)
1 tsp - ghee (clarified butter)
1/4 cup - khoya (I used the material leftover after preparing ghee)
1/2 liter- milk (I used toned milk)
3-4 Cardamom (elaichi)
Nuts - almonds, raisins
|gur gajjar halwa|
- Grate carrots.
- Boil milk and then add powdered elaichi and carrots. (I made the gajar halwa yesterday as well and boiled carrots for 3 whistles...this time I decided to boil them directly in milk)
- Keep on low flame. Took more than an hour for the milk to dry up.
- Next, add khoya and ghee. Mix well. Let it cook on slow flame.
- Now add gur and mix very well. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until the gajjar halwa looks dry.
- Add/ garnish with nuts of your choice. I added almonds and raisins (kishmish).
- Enjoy this light and healthy recipe of carrot pudding on a cold winter morning or evening.
- Give this gajar halwa a try and it would be a frequent recipe in your kitchens during the winter season.