Homemade Edible Powders: Beetroot, Onion, Garlic, Ginger, Lemon, Orange, Sambar, Kurma, Garam Masala
|homemade carrot powder|
|how to make beetroot powder at home|
Then I wondered if I can sundry lemon peels into powder just like we do to orange peels. I have been using orange peels as a face pack thus far. But since the baking bug has bitten me badly, I plan to use it as an edible powder for cakes and cookies too. Fingers crossed for the results though, since I have never added orange or lime powder to my bakes.
Regarding ginger powder, I have been making this powder for over 2 years and even share the same with mom. My bhabhi splurges on this powder - LOL while I use it primarily for tea.
Onion and garlic powder recipes belong to Anita Chahal aunty ji, though I too have made these a year back following a different method.
Let's come back to the processes of making homemade edible powders.
Quick Beetroot powder recipe/Carrot Powder Recipe
|homemade beet powder|
A natural pop of color, beetroot is an amazingly healthy addition to your meals. When in season, make sure you enjoy this root veggie to the max. Some people use it as a blood pressure supplement w while some others add it as a pop of color to their soups, juices, cakes, and cookies. Some others use it as an energy booster and detox aid. Surprisingly, it can be used in cosmetics, especially homemade lip balm (though I have never tried it - add beet powder to your petroleum jelly- mix very well , allow it to sit for sometime and then see the pink magic on your lips)
- Wash beetroots/carrots in lukewarm water. Peel the skin and use a grater to grate the root veggie.
- You may use your chopper too.
- I chose to go with a grater, since I did not have enough patience to see the results. If you grate it thinly, the sun will take less time to naturally dehydrate these pink beauties.
- Spread the grated product on a tissue paper or kitchen towel or your cotton dupatta that you no longer use.
- Place it in the sun and cover with another light cotton cloth to prevent dust or ants.
- Sundry these until they are completely done. Since the sun is shining brightly these days, it took me only 2 days to sundry my beet and carrots.
- Grind the dehydrated beet/carrot to powder. Voila! You have a natural pink color to color your cookies, cakes, shakes, soups, and curries. On top of it, add beet powder to your roti atta and turn your rotis pink.
Do not forget to store your homemade beet powder in an airtight container away from humidity or moisture. With moisture, the color might turn brown.
Homemade Ginger Powder or Saunth
Peel off the skin. If you are using organic ginger, as I do, you can use the washed and dried peel in your tea powder.
Grate ginger finely or chop it into thinnest slices/juveniles will work too.
Take a cotton dupatta/cloth and spread the chopped/grated ginger on it.
Cover with another cloth/dupatta.
Sundry until ginger loos dehydrated.
Grind into a smooth powder and enjoy homemade ginger powder in your tea.
Lemon/orange powderLet lemon/orange pieces sit in hot water for 5 mins. I use homegrown lemon. If you have far fresh lemon, go ahead with the recipe.
Pat dry with a piece of cloth.
Squeeze juice and remove the pith or the white part from the lime/orange skin so that you are only left with the yellow/orange part.
Grate or slice thinly.
Take a cotton cloth and spread the lime/orange zest over it.
Cover with another cloth and allow it to soak in the sun for 3-4 or 5 days or until lime/orange looks dry.
Grind to a powder.
Enjoy homemade lemon powder in cakes, cookies, soups, and homemade jal jeera powder.
Onion Powder by Anita Chahal aunty ji
|homemade onion powder|
|how to make onion powder at home|
Homemade Garlic Powder by Anita Chahal aunty ji
|how to make garlic powder at home|
Homemade Dal Powder by Chitra Balachander
Sambar powder (recipe courtesy: PV Iyer)
|how to make sambar masala at home: recipe by PV Iyer|
Homemade Jal Jeera Powder (Recipe courtesy: Poonam Bachhav)
Homemade Digestion Churan Powder
|Homemade curry powder|
Homemade Kadhai masala
|homemade kadahi masala|
|how to make garam masala at home|
Homemade Kurma Powder
|how to make kurma masala (recipe courtesy: Radha Natarajan)|