Healthy cookies are a weakness this side. Of course, you know me by now!I love cookies - in fact, have been passionately in love with eggless whole wheat cookies since childhood. Taking my love for cookies to another level, I have started to bake healthy cookies myself.
This website is all about health, healthy food, and whole grains and whole wheat baking.
My previous atta pista (wheat pistachio) cookie recipe had got viral in Facebook. It even found a place in Sonal Gupta's top cookie list. I have got positive feedback from different angles on this recipe. Happy me!
So this time I have decided to replace milk with whey, as suggested by my dearest friend, Anna, who often substitutes milk with whey in her recipes. Anna is a master chef :)
Let's come back to this delectable blend of whole wheat flour and pistachio. Well, pistachio adds flavor to any recipe. Do you agree?
Here is another wheat cookies recipe in microwave that you are surely going to be tempted to try out!
What is Pistachio
A member of the cashew family, pista or pistachio is rich in oleic acid - the same fat found in olive oil. Like other nuts, pistachio also helps lower risk of heart disease, systolic high blood pressure, and improve vascular health.
|atta cookies with almonds|
|simple cookie recipe with whole wheat flour|
Snacking on nuts offers you better health benefits than snacking on whole grains.
Whole wheat flour makes a healthier alternative to refined flour or all-purpose flour or maida. Refined flour is rich in starch and carbs, which raises the risk of high glucose levels in the body.
Maida has no nutritional benefits; rather, it is only empty calories.
This is the reason I never bring maida home! Let's see how we can make healthy whole wheat cookies.
Next I may try whole wheat pumpkin cookies. Let's see how I go about it.
1 cup- atta (whole wheat flour)
4 tbsp- cold butter (desi ghee)
4 tbsp- jaggery powder/sugar powder (more or less depending on your taste)
elaichi, dalchini, saunf for aroma
3-4 tbsp- whey (water leftover after milk curdles to become paneer)/milk
baking powder- 1tsp
Whole Wheat Baking: Atta Cookie Procedure
- Sieve wheat flour and baking powder.
- Rub cold butter with flour. It should be like bread crumbs.
- Add jaggery powder, elaichi, dalchini, saunf powder.
- Mix well,
- Add half of slivered pistachios and almonds.
- Now add whey - little at a time
- Add the remaining pistachio and almonds
- Knead into a not too hard, nor too soft dough - dough should be little harder than chapati dough.
- Do not over knead - just collect all ingredients together.
- Make small logs and cover in an aluminum foil.
- Refrigerate for 30mts to overnight.
- I refrigerated for 30 mts this time. The longer you refrigerate the dough (maximum two days), the crispier the cookies will be!
- Preheat oven (mw convection) at 180 degrees for 10 mts.
- Take out the dough and cut with a sharp knife into desired shapes.
- Bake pistachio cookies for 20 mts at 180 degrees.
- Enjoy wheat pista cookies with a hot cup of tea or milk.
|over 50 oatmeal recipes|
|whole grain cookies|