My mom follows her mother in law when it comes to observing Navratris. So my mom's family fasts for Ashtmi, so do I and hubby dear.
Traditional Navratri recipes were kuttu parantha and potato curry. Today, we have some many brains working to include falahari or fruit-based navratri recipes.
Navratri Fast Recipes
I am a big admirer of appe pan because it gives me health food. Of course, it saves me time and offers me unmatched health benefits, since I can make non-fried versions of fried recipes.
While fasting last ashtami, I wanted to change my traditional navratri recipe of having only potato curry with kuttu roti.
So I decided to prepare paneer at home by adding 2 tbsp curd in 2 cups of boiling milk. The milk curdled quickly and whey separated from paneer.
Sieve paneer from whey.
Use whey for this cheese cutlet curry or kneading dough.
Without further ado, let's get to the navratri recipe now!
1 cup - paneer
3 -boiled potatoes
1 tbsp - Grated Ginger (if you use during fast)
Sendha Namak (rock salt) according to taste
1 Ginger chilly
1 fat pinch of turmeric
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tbsp kuttu atta (if you are not fasting, you can add suji/maida/rice flour instead)
1/2 tsp ghee ( if you are not fasting, you can use mustard oil/vegetable oil)
1 tsp curd (optional)
- Crumble paneer.
- Mash potatoes
- Grate ginger and add along with salt, green chilly, coriander leaves, turmeric, and cumin seeds.
- Add kuttu atta (flour) and curd.
- Mix everything well.
- Make small balls for Paniyaram pan.
- Grease appe pan.
- Place balls in appe pan.
- Cook & cover on medium flame.
- Meanwhile let's prepare the gravy.
|paneer alloo kofta|
Whey - 2 cups (optional) - you may take water instead
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Boiled Potatoes- 2
Ghee- 1/2 tsp
- Grind tomatoes, green chilly and almonds.
- Keep aside.
- Take a pan and add ghee.
- Put cumin seeds when the ghee heats up.
- When jeera splutters, add green chilly and potatoes.
- Fry potatoes.
- Now let's add tomato paste.
- Let the tomatoes cook well.
- Add salt. haldi. Mix
- Add whey or water. If you want the gravy to be thick, you may mash half potato and add it to the curry.
- Let the gravy cook & thicken.
- Add paneer-alloo koftas.
- Garnish with coriander leaves & enjoy this healthy recipe with kuttu/singhada roti or samak chawal on navratri fasting day :)
lovely healthy kofta curry. I love using my appe pan too... such a versatile pan.ReplyDelete
Thank you, dear Mayuri. I am so much in love with appe pan :)Delete
These look really tasty, I love paneer but don't eat it that often. Really nice way to use it.ReplyDelete
Thank you for stopping by, Sarah. Do try this recipe once, and I am sure you'll love it :)
This I must try though I am not fasting but def will take up normal ingredients and try. I like paneer kofta.ReplyDelete