Yes, chickpea flour is gluten free! Rest assured about it. Chickpea flour recipes are loved by one and all. If you ask me, what I prefer doing with gram flour the most, I will say I love baking fresh batches of chickpea flour cookies, vegan and non vegan both!
Cookies are a favorite this side - given two options to choose from chickpea flour gluten free cookies and everyone's favorite snack samosa, I would choose biscuits without doubt!
But yes, not any biscuit, but those made at home. Yes, there is something special about homemade cookies. I love such kind of healthy cookies.
After successful attempts at cookie making, I have gone a step further. This time I have chosen besan (gram flour) as the main ingredient for cookies. To take my experiment to the next level, I have added cornflakes.
Try this eggless chickpea biscuit recipe, and you will immediately fall in love with the cracks as well as the unique taste & aroma of these cookies.
What makes this kind of besan nankhatai unique, you might wonder.
Well, of course, it is the addition of cornflakes!
Believe you me, this is going to be a deadly cookie combination that use less of butter and blends it with olive oil to make it healthier and perfect for my friends eyeing weight loss.
No, these are not chickpea flour chocolate chip cookies, but besan nankhatais with cornflakes!
|feedback on chickpea biscuit recipe shared by Geeta Sachdev|
|gram flour cookies|
Gram Flour Cookies Recipe
When I shared the recipe with my friends in some food groups, they doubted the combination. But their trials with this recipe dispelled their doubts and made them to believe that chickpea flour cookies vegan taste great with cornflakes. For a vegan version, you may add coconut milk or even almond milk to replace dairy milk.
Yes, sometimes it just takes a trial to alleviate your fear and dispel your doubts about some healthy recipes, isn't t?
Chickpea Biscuit Recipe Ingredients
2 cups - Mota besan (thick gram/chickpea flour) (you may take fine besan flour)
1 cup -cornflakes (after grinding, they are merely 1/2 cup)
Sugar powder- 3 tbsp (please add more to suit your taste buds - I take less sugar)
Ghee/butter- 2 tbsp
Olive oil-2 tbsp
2 tbsp- milk (you may need little extra if the flour feels dry)
Cardamom powder- 1/2 tsp
Baking powder - 1 tsp
(Baking soda- 1/2 + 1 tsp lime juice - this is a substitute for baking powder)
Here is some feedback on the recipe from Anshu Wadhwa Pande on this batch of chickpea flour cookies:
Besan Flour Biscuit Recipe Procedure
- Grind cornflakes (if you want crunchiness of flakes, don't grind, just crush them with hand..but by doing so, you won't get fluffed up cookies,...the cookies may flatten)
- Take besan and add ground cornflakes.
- Mix ghee, olive oil, cardamom powder, milk, and sugar.
- Whisk well so that it gets fluffy.
- Take baking soda and add lemon juice to it. Instantly pour it into ghee-sugar mixture. Mix well.
- If you are taking baking powder as well, this is the stage to add it to the ghee-sugar mix.
- Pour this mixture over flour.
- Gather all ingredients. The dough may feel little sticky due to olive oil, but that's okay. In fact, I had taken 1 cup of gram flour for the recipe earlier, but I felt the dough was very sticky, so added more flour little by little to the extent that it was almost 1 cup of gram flour extra.
- Make lemon size balls. Flatten them with your palm.
- Grate 3 almonds over cookies and chop 2 almonds and insert in each cookie.
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Grease a baking tray and place the cookies on it. There should be a good gap between each cookies. This will help in even baking of each cookie.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. I baked for 16 minutes, so the cookies got little hard.
- The beautiful cracks on these cookies look awesome :)
- Do not leave the cookies inside the oven for too long.
- Take them out on a wire rack/stand so that they cool easily.
- Store in an airtight container upon cooling.
- Enjoy these besan cookies with a hot cup of tea.
- This is my version of besan nankhatais. What about you?
- If you love the typical nankhatai recipe with chickpea flour, this recipe might interest you.