I have added banana to the cake, but you are always free to choose fruits that you like. Orange cornmeal cakes are loved by one and all. If you want to try an eggless orange cake with cornmeal, go ahead with this recipe and include 1/2 cup orange juice along with banana. Adding 1/2 tsp of orange rind will enhance the flavor. Exclude milk from this recipe, replacing the same with orange juice.
Let's try this healthy eggless sugarless cornmeal cake.
This is one eggless lemon cornmeal cake that uses no sugar, though you are free to choose your ingredients. Add nuts of your choice to make it a fruit cake. You may add tutty fruity to make it a tutty fruity cake. The options are endless with cornmeal cake.
Just go ahead and give it a try and do share your experience. Would love to hear back from you.
1 cup - makki atta (cornmeal)
1/4 cup - oat meal (powdered oats)
2 tsp - olive oil (or any vegetable oil)
1/4 cup - milk or 1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup - yogurt/curd
1 - banana (pureed) (+ 1/2 tsp orange rind - if you want orange cornmeal cake)
Jaggery (gur) - may vary - I added 3 tbsp of powdered jaggery
1/2 tsp- baking soda
1 tsp- Lime juice (vinegar) (I do not use baking powder for most o f my cakes. You may add 3/4 tsp of baking powder as well)
Cornmeal Cake Procedure
- Sieve cornmeal, oatmeal and baking soda.
- Keep aside.
- Peel banana and puree it in a blender.
- Add milk, curd, jaggery, and oil to the blender and whisk again until all ingredients combine.
- Fold wet ingredients into the dry ones. Do not overdo!
- Meanwhile, take a big heavy base kadahi/vessel/cooker. Add salt/sand. Keep a stand over it.
- Switch on the gas.
- Grease a baking pan. I used a steel bowl this time.
- Sprinkle lime juice on the batter and immediately pour it into the baking pan.
- Cover the baking pan with aluminum foil.
- Cover the cooker without whistle.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes on slow flame (took me almost an hour). The time may vary. Please keep an eye on your lemon cornmeal cake. You may bake the same in microwave convection at 180 degrees for 30 mts or little longer until the skewer comes out clean. Do preheat the oven for 10 mts at 180 degrees.
- When done, let the cake sit on a cooling rack for 5-10 minutes.
- Cut lemon cornmeal cake into slices and enjoy healthy bites.